"Doubt is a condition of life quaking in the bone because the bone is on fire." - Jack Kerouac, some of the dharma

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Process as Life/Life as Process

I love November light.  It makes me think of Merton or Ginsberg.  Holy. Holy. Everything is Holy.
Yesterday, I was completely inspired by a friend.  An concept that seemed impossible for so long and loomed large and impossible was solved so simply that it floors me.  Absolutely floors me.
But that is the strange thing about connections, how they can drive a person forward.
My process for the writing has changed in the last few years.  Now I think more before I ever write, write, then shape, then edit, then refine.  It works for me, it seems.  I don't think of the plot of anything, no specific writing elements - I think of theme.
In this new work I've written about love in different ways.  Sometimes it is gentle, sometimes it is based in mutual need, sometimes it is one-sided and obsessive.  The romantic relationships (so easy for readers to identify with) aren't what this work is about.  Romantic love is what it is (and how great it can be) but those relationships are just bridging/climbing elements.  Deep, less changeable love is like side rails of a ladder, giving it the height, lifting you off the ground.  The rungs of the ladder (the romantic entanglements) are simply what we use in the climb.  I'd love for "romantic love" to be the side rails.  Maybe I'm too much of a realist.  Maybe I've seen too many things.  Maybe I'm not hopeful enough.  I wish I were like Cinderella or something, waiting for a Prince.  I wait, but I know a little too much to think the glass slipper fits.
I am not done with my thoughts on it, but that's where I'm starting.
It makes me think interesting things about what people do to each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment