"Doubt is a condition of life quaking in the bone because the bone is on fire." - Jack Kerouac, some of the dharma

Monday, November 8, 2010

A "good" rejection


Personal rejections are good and this one is the best of all, so far, that I've gotten.

"Engaging and clever structure, excellent ending prose, however, lacks characterization, narrative arc, and overall strength as a piece.  Try us again!"

That's no acceptance.  But I'll take it.  Engaging and clever, with excellent ending prose.  Excellent, huh?  I'll just ignore all the stuff I don't like about this or disagree with, and enjoy that - excellent prose.

I'm going to send this market more work.  They pay well.

And the rejected piece has wonderful characterization that is subtle, which befits the style of the work overall, and sadly, the reader that rejected this wasn't adept enough to catch how finely it was constructed, on the whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment