"Doubt is a condition of life quaking in the bone because the bone is on fire." - Jack Kerouac, some of the dharma

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Do Your Work

In a picture of a person sitting in front of the sea with a sun nearing the horizon, it isn't evident, unless you know where they are, if it is sunrise or sunset.  I like the thought of that.
I wish I could sit by the sea for any part of today.  Instead, I need to get caught up on day job stuff.  It will be a long one.  It should be okay, though. I'm not worried.  I'll drink tons of tea and have time to think, and have time where I'm too busy to think.  I like those times well enough.
I'm editing a little bit this morning, and then thinking about what needs to happen next on the application process.  I have two full days off and need to be productive this weekend.  I have two "big" applications to do in the next two or so weeks.  They both require long samples of my work.  I'm not sure what to send, though I'm leaning to the newest work.  It is likely the strongest.  So this weekend will be an analysis of where I am, with that project, up to this point, and how to best sharpen the work. Then I'll apply, heart in throat, as always.  I should also hear back from one residency by late November.  It's driving me mad, the waiting.
A cold front is coming and I am glad.  I am hoping the cold air and the change of season feel helps me to concentrate.
There are so many wishes I have right now for my life.  But what can I do?
Do your work, kid.  Do you work.

No comments:

Post a Comment